Online gambling is permitted in countries that have laws or are not legally prohibited. Most states allow online casinos to operate on their territory only if the institution has a license. Users are advised to bypass illegally operating sites and give preference to the resources of registered and verified companies.
What is an online casino license for?
States that allow the organization of online gambling require companies that provide online gambling services to register. They must obtain permits that are required by local or international laws. This allows them to monitor the integrity of their work and levy taxes on profits.
For the legal provision of gaming services, the owner of an online casino must obtain a license. Its absence makes it difficult to work on the Internet due to the fact that the operator cannot open a bank account and use some methods of electronic transfers. It will not be possible to place on the site software providers who conclude contracts only with licensed companies.
In some countries (European Union, Australia, USA, Russia, etc.), access to sites that operate illegally is blocked.
Types of licenses
Obtaining a permit for online gambling does not mean that an operator will be able to work in any country in the world. The legislation of some states prohibits the activity of casinos on the Internet in whole or in part (USA, Russia, France, Italy, Belgium, etc.). Licenses are divided into types according to the jurisdictions to which they apply:
- Local – allow you to work within one country, state. For example, the Division of Gaming Enforcement’s licenses sites to operate in New Jersey. Additional permits are required to provide services in other US states (Delaware, PA).
- Global – operate in all countries in accordance with the norms of the World Trade Organization and other international agreements. The exception is states that have introduced a ban or restrictions on the organization of gambling on the Internet. Despite the international status, they are issued in accordance with the legislation of the country in which they are issued.
States in which the concept of “online games” is not legally enshrined may require alternative licensing from site owners. For example, obtaining permission to provide paid services, bank transfers, currency exchange, etc.
Benefits of licensed casinos
Choosing an institution, the player needs to check the availability of a license obtained in one or several commissions with a good reputation. AUTcasinos reviewed the top 25 online casinos licensed in Austria.
Benefits of licensed sites:
- Correspondence of the percentage of return of the machine to the player with the declared RTP indicators.
- Guaranteed transfer of winnings (withdrawal of funds).
- The ability to resolve disputes through a supervisory authority.
- Quality software.
- Access to technical support.
- Payment of compensation or preservation of game history in case of failures in the operation of the servers of the institution
All of the above regulators require the placement of license data on casino sites. Information is usually found at the bottom of the page. These include the number of the permit and the name of the issuing organization. Sometimes a banner is placed that leads to a page with detailed information. The authenticity can be verified on the official website of the commission.